 Robotics / 9211
    FIber-optic rotation sensor —David Paule
   The fiber-optic device and a light sensor can be rigged to detect at least two distinct rotation positions of an axle. The fiber optic device is lit through an electrical connection, and an axle turns an internal light source, sequentially lighting (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FIber-optic rotation sensor —Dennis Clark
   (...) [snip] I believe it was Mario that described a way to use the FO device as a rotation detection unit all by itself. Apparently as a side-effect of the rotation the FO device can toggle the pulse counter as well. It can't detect direction like (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FIber-optic rotation sensor —Phil Watt
   Dennis, You are absolute correct. No brain cell problems on this issue. I can't remember the part about Mario, but it makes sense.. Jin Sato has used these on the front legs of his Mibo dog to determine motion. He knows the direction that he is (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FIber-optic rotation sensor —Mario Ferrari
   It was not me to discover it, but it's definitely doable. You can use the fiber-optic device as a rotation sensor and it works pretty well. As Dennis and Phil said, the only point is that you cannot detect the direction, but in many cases you (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FIber-optic rotation sensor —Iain Hendry
    Mario Ferrari wrote in message ... (...) I'm wondering, what is the resultant "resolution" (ie, counts per rotation) of the fibre-optic device? What sort of raw values does it return, as you rotate the axle? Iain -- tokama (URL) UIN 5362826 AIM (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FIber-optic rotation sensor —Ian Warfield
   (...) Try this little experiment: Configure one of the RCX inputs as a light sensor type (to make it a powered input) and set the data mode to RAW. This lets you see the results on both the RCX LCD and the fiber-optic strands. Turn the axle until (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)