 Robotics / 9193
Re: Questions about Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 01:04:53 GMT

Hi Tamy,
I sent this by eamil, but also decided to post it for other's benefit as well.

I have made sensors (light differencial, switch and temp) and have good luck that
way.

Michael Gasperi ( http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm ) has a page with
alot of great instructions and there is another page by Wes Matchette
(http://www.monumental.com/wesmat/lego/TouchSensor/TouchSensor.html) that describes
how to make sensors out of an old mouse's switches (these turned out to be the best
of my homemade; although not as good as the real ones.

The real switches have an "X" axel hole and are in a 2X3 brick format (homemade
switches that I made came out 2X4 Brick + 1 plate high).

For the electrical contacts, I have seen people describe using screws and copper
tape, but I prefer to take an extra lego wire and clip it in two and wire them in
permanently.  This gives an official Lego connection method and is more reliable I
think.

For the temperature sensor, the radio shack thermistor gives slightly different
readings, but this is not too much of a problem.  I have read that an extra
resistor can be added to bring the offset closer to reality.

The add-on sets do not come with sensors (although the fiber optics unit can be
used as a crude rotation sensor as has been shown in Jin Sato's Mibo dog).
I bought both, and am happy that I got more parts but nothing remarkable is in
there other than the fiber optics unit in one and the motor in the extreme sports.
I later realized that I was just as happy buying the moter set seperately
(8735??)(this way you get another clutch gear anyway).

I highly recommend the remote.  It is great for testing things without pushing the
front panel buttons.  It's also great to "feed" some of the "messages" to initiate
certain programmed behaviors.  The stop button is extremely useful when software
doesn't exactly do what what intended and a motor strains or mechanisms start to
break-up.  :)

Have fun with your RCX!

-Phil Watt

Mookie wrote:

I see some people want to move the sensor talk out of this group, hopefully
this comes through before they do that :)
I got my RIS [1] the other day, I'm looking for more sensors, I've checked out
the homebrew page and I'll probably make a few of those after a trip to rad
shack. I'm wondering if the other sets, the Robosports or Extreme creatures
come with more? I know one comes with some fiber optic stuff an the other with
another motor, though I want more sensors! Short of making them or buying them
seperately from S&H, which is the best way?
Also... is the remote that's listed in the Holiday catalog a good idea? and has
anyone gotten one?

I'd appreciate if you could e-mail me with any answers, I don't have much spare
time to search this newsgroup on here :( and I'd really hate to miss some good
information.

Thanks
Tamy

1 I got the 1.5 version for those having problems installing stuff, I didn't
have any problems. I do know that directx can be a pain in the butt to install
though and I was very surprised!