 Robotics / 9131
RE: RCX Output (Train applications)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:16:54 GMT

Wow, what an excellent description.  I look forward to trying this out over
the holidays.  I had one other idea that may explain my initial failure.
The track layout I was using was rather large, in fact it took up the entire
living room using nearly every piece from 5 train sets.  I will try again,
thanks to your encouragement, with a smaller layout.  Also, the plastic
insulation you are talking about, is that a thin plastic film cut to 1/4" x
1/8" such as scotch tape?  I'm having a hard time visualizing anything other
than really thin material.  Many thanks.
F'amos

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Michon [mailto:tedmichon@home.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 1999 9:20 AM
To: Avery, Amos E.
Cc: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: RCX Output (Train applications)

Avery-

With 1 RCX running on AC (with batteries installed), I could run both
complete Railway Express trains (engine and 2 loaded long cars each) just
fine. We ran them at a max RCX speed setting of 4 - any higher and they were
prone to fly off the rails around curves. Because of the isloation blocks in
the layout, the loops were each electrically open at one spot so we made a
point of putting the track connector in the middle to minimize the maximum
resistance to the farthest points.

I only noticed a problem if I started both trains simultaneously at slow
speed, which was necessary when doing the track swap. So instead of using
speed 3 for this, I chose speed 4 and had no further trouble.

I don't have any processed photos yet that show the layout, but perhaps I
can give a better description. I'll start by defining some terms for the
switches. Consider a switch oriented like your right hand with the straight
side going from your wrist toward you middle finger and the curve flowing
toward your thumb and your palm flat on the layout. I'll call this a "right
hand" switch. I'll call the part the corresponds to the thumb the "curved
node", the part for the middle finger the "straight node", and the part for
the wrist where the opposite ends of the curve and straight meet the "common
node".

This particular layout was made by first making a 180 degree half circle
(imagine it at the top of the layout, if we were working on a sheet of
paper, with the open ends pointing down). Attached to the right side of the
half circle is the curved node of a right hand switch. Attached to common
node of this switch is another 180 degrees of curve (with some straight in
the middle) followed by the common node of a left hand switch. The curved
node of this second switch attaches to the remaining spot on the original
half curve.

At this point, there is a complete inner loop and two unconnected straight
nodes from the two installed switches.

Attached the straight node of another right hand switch to the straight node
of the first installed switch. Attach the straight node of another left hand
switch to the straight node of the second switch. Now add a 180 degree
section with some straight track in the middle to connect the common nodes
of switches 3 and 4 across the top of the layout. Finally, add a 180 degree
section with some straight track in the middle and on each end to link the
curved nodes of switches 3 and 4. These sections complete the outer loop.

Set all switches so that the yellow balls point to the right. This will
force a clockwise running train on the outer loop to stay on the outer loop
and a clockwise running train on the inner loop to stay on the inner loop.
When either train reverses, however, it will swap to the opposite loop.

The two small piece of 1/8 inch by 1/4 inch plastic insulation goes at the
junctions where the straight nodes of the switches meet - but only on one of
two rails in each junction. For the pair of switches on the right side of
the layout, the inner most rail gets the plastic. For the pair of switches
on the left side of the layout, the outermost rail gets the plastic.

The outer track sensor goes at the top of the outer loop on the inner side.

The inner track sensor goes at the bottom of the inner loop on the inner
side.

Power the outer loop from the bottom right corner. Power the inner loop from
the bottom left corner.

-Ted Michon

"Avery, Amos E." wrote:

When I tried this, my train only ran at about 1/2 speed at full output from
the RCX plugged into the train power supply and batteries removed.  Any
ideas why?  My trains are a little old and I'm considering cleaning the
tracks.  Maybe I'll try again with a new train set.  Do you have any
pictures or can you show with sketches the sensor configuration or a detail
of the track layout and the plastic weggies?  I'd be very grateful for any
additional info I could get.  Thanks!F'amos