 Robotics / 9060
9059  |  9061
Subject:
More studs in holes...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:15:22 GMT

Hi,

Recently there was a mention here of the problem with studs fitting
into beam holes. Fred Martin's "The Art of LEGO Design" was quoted
as saying that such a configuration was not intended and that the studs
or holes could become damaged over time. I clearly remembered reading
that.

So it was quite a shock to discover when mounting my 8448 that such
a setup was used in an official LEGO set.

On page 183 of the second 8448 booklet, as part of the winged doors
assembly, they assemble a "plate with toothing, 5x1"
(http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/r_plate.html)
with a "half-beam, 5x1"
(http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/r_beam.html)

What do you think ? Is this endorsement or an oversight ?
(which by the way, leads to another interesting topic : what kind of
internal documents do the LEGO designers refer to when creating models ?
I bet they are a whole lot more detailed than Fred Martin's paper -
I'd love to see even what they look like).

Cheers,
--Jonathan