 Robotics / 8874
Re: 2D positioning ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:20:30 GMT

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, michael yates wrote:

Has anyone out there used an overhead mounted camera to do this sort of thing?
Was it sucessful? We were reading about the roboCup soccer and the overhead
camera thing was the method they used. However we are not sure what sort of
resources (time and hardware) would be required to pull this level of image
manipulation and calculations off.

I plan to try this myself once I test the robot controllers in simulation.
In "Reactive Visual Control of Multiple Non-Holonomic Robotics Agents,"
the CMU team says that they use a frame grabber with frame rate transfer
from a 3CCD camera.  A 166mhz Pentium is used for the image processing.
I found this paper at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/kwunh/www/pubs/visual-control.ps

I'm wondering how well one IR tower will communicate with multiple RCX's.
I haven't played with this yet as I haven't purchased the additional
equipment.  Actually, I haven't played with the single RCX I have, at this
point.  I plan on running all the controllers on a PC and beaming a
command stream each time step into the "play area."  The command for each
individual robot will be preceded by its ID number.

Tim

Tim Gion
tcg3j@cs.virginia.edu (fastest) or gion@cs.virginia.edu
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~tcg3j