 Robotics / 8802
RE: Lego trains and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:54:55 GMT

I think you'll find that a simple capacitor (or two) will solve that issue.
A capacitor will smooth out those nasty spikes (pulses), and as the number
of pulses drop, so does the total voltage out.

Unfortunately, to do that, you need more information than I can give you.
All I can tell you is that you need to be sure the capacitor will handle the
voltage you'll be using, or you'll let the smoke out of it, and then it will
never work right again...

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Connors [mailto:connorbd@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 2:55 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Lego trains and the RCX

--- Nick Taylor <ntaylor@iname.com> wrote:
If I'n not mistaken, the RCX output is pulse width
modulated to
control motor speed, while the train controller
varies the DC
voltage.

In that case, I'm out of my league, but I suspect on
some level I'm on the right track (so to speak). I
don't know; is there some sort of opamp or something
like that you can use to do that? (Alternately, does
it make a difference?)

/Brian

=====