 Robotics / 8751
Re: Tilt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:14:54 GMT

I'm now working on using the Mindstorms light sensor as a tilt sensor. •  [snip]
I'm not sure what to do about the
brick swinging back and forth when the robot decelerates or reverses
direction.

What about inverting the problem?  You could have a vertical shaft with a
weight at the top, and some sort of resistance at the bottom (rubber bands?
elastic strips?).  Something like this:

    _____
    |   |
    |   |  <- weight
    -----

      O  <- pivot point

------O------  <- rubber bands

The strength of the "neutral" state (as shown) can be set by playing with
the amount of weight at the top and the strength of the rubber bands.  Small
motions (like acceleration and braking) could be completely damped out or
kept to a minimum.  But sustained tilt in one direction or another would
produce a greater effect due to the high center of gravity (the low pivot
point), thereby overcoming the "centering" pull of the rubber bands.

The could obviously be improved to multiple directions as well as employing
the use of touch sensors to show when critical angles have been achieved.

Just a thought...
- Christian

Christian Jacobsen
Budapest, Hungary

"Without crackpots, freedom of expression is just no fun."
  - Roahn Wynar