 Robotics / 8717
Re: Jumping 'bots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 19:12:04 GMT

I've always thought that the ideal pure-Lego flywheel would use 4
of the metal counterweight pieces that are sometimes used for the
gates in train crossing sets (and one also came in set 8094 Control
Center too).  You could use 4 of them in an 'x' fashion (they have
'+' shaped crossaxle holes for mounting, so it should not be too
hard to come up with a compact, sturdy assembly).  Unfortunately,
these are not common, and I don't know if you can get them as spare
parts through DACTA or elsewhere.

"alex wetmore" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:020d01bf3c27$9489e780$01fa3b9d@AWETMOREDEV...
From: "The WordMeister" <dwilcox@wordsmithdigital.com>
If the task is to create a gyro, and not necessarily a heavy flywheel, • any
of the large diameter wheels should work. Actually, if you have one, the • old
Expert Builder (http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=952-1) giant
wheels are quite heavy, and exhibit very definite gyroscopic/flywheel
properties when spun at high speeds.

Be careful with those giant wheels.  My brother and I broke 2 or 3 of them
as children in playing with spinning them at high speed with a motor.  The
hub part of them isn't very strong, and the part where the axle connects
tends to break easily.

The newer tires are hollow, and could always be filled with something to
weigh them down.  The hubs are probably stronger as well.

alex