 Robotics / 8701
RE: Tilt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:06:36 GMT

The halobot I built uses a pure lego mechanism that does a similar trick
with a rotation sensor (http://www.marsrobot.com/halobot/halobot.htm). I use
it for bump detection, but it would be serviceable as a tilt sensor. It
takes a pretty good "tilt" to register the rotation sensor in a standard
rotation sensor setup in NQC SetSensorMode(SENSOR_2,SENSOR_MODE_ROTATION);.
With that setting a good bump will only register a change from 0 to 1.
Changing the sensor mode to SetSensorMode(SENSOR_2,SENSOR_MODE_RAW); in NQC
will show a greater delta for change (1024 to 560 I think) but it still does
not give finer measurement due to the limitations of the rotations sensor
(someone correct me if I am wrong).

Rich Thompson

http://www.marsrobot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Wes Matchett
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 9:13 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Tilt

I was considering the same thing; there are a few advantages of using
rotation
sensors:

- They would measure all degrees of tilt, but any circuit interrupted type
(touch sensor, rod & ring, etc.) will only sense a single angle.

- They could sense how quickly a change in tilt is occurring.

One disadvantage is they have a slight resistance to turning, so the sensor
may
not measure fine degrees of change, or the pendulum would require enough
weight
to overcome this resistance to measure slight angles.  In reality this may
be a
non-issue.

-Wes

Jim West wrote:

Ok, here's another idea.

I just ordered my first rotation sensor...and note that I do not know the
details of this sensor yet.

Would it be possible to attach a pendulum to the rotation sensor and use • it
to measure the amount of angle?

If so, you wouldn't need a switch.

Ok...just thinking out loud again...  :)