 Robotics / 8551
Re: Scout vs. RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:12:01 GMT

Those of us with Cybermasters are used to passive sensors and if you take a
look a the sensor page on my webstite you can see that's not much of a
restriction.

CU  Bert

Lego robots and artificial intelligence www.bvandam.net

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: J G Gregory <jgg@ultranet.com>
Aan: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Datum: donderdag 25 november 1999 5:48
Onderwerp: Re: Scout vs. RIS 1.5

Ah, one more thing that isn't mentioned too much.  Most of the more
interesting sensors on the RCX are powered (light, rotation).  The Scout
can't handle these.  Consider a life restricted to touch sensing.  Not
unworkable, but the equation 3 = 2+1 isn't quite right.

The Scout SDK does allow determining the type of touch sensor hit (there • are
3 resistor coded types, though I haven't seen them).  It is not clear to me
if you can stack more than one on an input.  If you can get 3 on a single
input, and use code to determine which was pressed, this further • complicates
the balance.

--Jack Gregory

mlindsay <mlindsay@linlink.com> wrote in message
I was favoring the Scout until Jack mentioned the RIS has more input and
output ports than the RIS.  Does the need for more input/output ports out
weight the need or use of the added new features with the Scout:
- advanced multitasking
- subroutine calls
- local & global variables
- VLL
(to name a few)

What exactly is the Scout's 2+1 by 2+1 format for input/output mean • anyway?

Thanks,
Mark

In lugnet.robotics, Jack Gregory writes:
I have been watching the Scout situation closely, and have been tempted, • but
if the $50 difference (less with the tower, obviously) I think the RIS • is
the better choice.  It really comes down to whose toy it is.  The Scout • may
be better for the younger kids, but 11 is pushing the limit.  The bottom
line is that the RIS has more inputs and outputs, and these are very
precious commodities.

My problem is that I need to decide which one to get as a second • Mindstorms.
A harder decision, I think.  I really like the SDK for the Scout, and I • hope
they improve the RIS firmware and SDK in the same direction (and allow • us
1.0 owners to upgrade).

--Jack Gregory

mlindsay <mlindsay@linlink.com> wrote in message
I am planning to by my 11 year old son either the RIS 1.5 kit or the • new
Discovery (Scout) kit for Christmas. Of course, I want to be able to • play
too
and interface with the PC and even my Palm.
I was planning to get the RIS until I read about the extra • (programming)
capabilities of the Scout. However, I want to be able to interface • with
the PC
using the IR tower. Would it still be best to buy the Scout and the IR • tower
separately?