 Robotics / 848
Re: A lamer question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 01:45:07 GMT

At 23:30 28-11-1998 Saturday , you wrote:
Hi all!

I'm new here at the mailing list and at lego robotics. I didn't know how can
a robot determine its exact position. And now I red something interesting
about this in a mail:

I'm going to use the Tacho counters in the threads to get the approximate
position and direction where the rover is facing (the difference between the
2 Tachos should give us a direction), which I think is feasible with some
finetunning.

What are these Tacho counters?

(Sorry for my bad english... :)

The Tachometers are one of those bonus I think nobody was expecting to find in the hardware of CyberMaster when it first appeared in the shelves.
The Tachos are integrated with the internal motors of CyberMaster and are very precise. They count the number of rotations of each motor with a resolution of about 1/50 of full rotation. They also tell you the speed at which the each motor is running, much like in a car. And they even count if you rotate the motor by hand. These values can be accessed and reset by software.

If a vehicle is built with a thread in each motor with a tacho, then I think it should not very difficult to pinpoint the position of the vehicle. Of course the computer must always be watching the Tachos so that he can see the difference between them so he can in turn pinpoint the position.
The direction where the rover is facing is simpler:
Start running the vehicle facing North (or whatever you think should be 0 degrees) with the Tachos reset. After some running, the current direction of the unit is the difference between the two Tachos divided by the number of ticks it takes to make 360 degrees (with some math to convert it to a 0->360 degree value).

Sorry my bad English also :-)

Laurentino Martins