 Robotics / 8470
Re: lack of interest in basic stamp and basicx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:22:02 GMT

From a somewhat-less-technical background:

I think I have enough electronics tinkering experience to breadboard
together some of the "home brew" sensors--if I do build 'em, the first would
probably be the $3.50 temperature sensor, although of more immediate utility
(i.e., fun) would be some dual-color LED bricks.

I don't, however, have a good programming background--just some ancient
BASIC and some more recent complex formula-writing experience. I can,
however, fathom NQC, and am currently taking my first steps in it--but can
see where it might be a bit difficult to learn without any experience
programming at all (and, to be honest, the MindStorms drag-n-drop doohickey
is quite easy to use and not.all that inflexible--and my son Isaac the
Wonder Boy can operate it with minimal help). But it is very unlikely that
I'll be programming the RCX in pbForth or C++ anytime soon, especially as
the RCC/NQC combination will do everything I need it to that the MindStorms
software won't.

One of my favorite features of Lego MindStorms is its inherent
accessibility. Although I've read about, and I'm sure I would enjoy the
BASIC stamp, the fact is that MindStorms is cheaper and easier-to-build. My
4-year-old and I have a great time working on MindStorms projects. I'm not
sure the same would be true of the more advanced platforms.

Some _wonderful_ opinions on this issue. This has been a fun thread.

--Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370

781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783

- Web design (including e-commerce)
- Searchable Digital Documents on CD
- Desktop Publishing - Design - Scanning
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class