 Robotics / 830
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:47:59 GMT

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:49:11 -0800 (PST), Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:
Plug-Ins fall into that category, but as far as I'm concerned, firmware
is firmware, software is software, and firmware is not software.

Firmware isn't software???  Go way back when and see what happend to bring
about the IBM PC clone.  The BIOS reverse engineering and why MACs haven't
been cloned.

Firmware *is* software, placed in a chip instead of 'normal' media

You're drifting from the point.  Why IBM PCs have been cloned and why MACs
have not been has nothing to do with license agreements.  Copyrights are
copyrights.  I cannot, will not, and have not copied the firmware in any
way that I do not consider fair use.  But copyrights are not license
agreements.

Also, perhaps I should have worded things differently:

As far as it's possible to (perhaps incorrectly) read the license
agreement, firmware is firmware, software is software, and firmware is not
software.

It certainly is not clear; that was my point.

-Kekoa