 Robotics / 8270
Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 02:28:56 GMT

Sorry, sent this to C S without realizing it had been sent to the whole
group.
-Luis

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:27:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu>
To: C S Soh <cssoh@singnet.com.sg>
Subject: Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, C S Soh wrote:
Luis Villa wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Ralph M. Deal wrote:
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Stefano Franchi wrote:

Although it's an "old" book now by scientific standards, Valentino
Brateiberg's Vehicles (MIT press I believe, still in print) contains a
clear and accessible discussion of this topic, plus reference to the
standard literature. I suppose you may then proceed from there. And it's
required reading for any RCX'er anyway...

The reference is Vehicles by Valentino Braitenberg, MIT PRess 1984.
(Took awhile to find that!)

Wish I had a copy.    Ralph    Deal@kzoo.edu

Actually, it is pretty cheap on amazon (14 + shipping)- check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262521121/o/qid=942778058/sr=8-1/102-8483281-8060851

Thanks, I'll have to get myself a copy.

Don't expect any serious science in it- it is very interesting, and
certainly thought-provoking, but you'll also find yourself reading and
questioning the sanity of the author- he goes into

Judging from the lively discussions in an accompanying thread on line followers, it seems that
following a single black line is far from being a trivial matter.

I think it becomes very trivial when you have "good" hardware. But
considering what we have (and the need to conserve our scarce resources)
it becomes much more challenging. That is where the interest lies, I
think.

It seems to me more natural to be keeping within a hallway (or the walls of a canyon in the Star
Wars games). And it's alright for bots to bump into walls but not humans, of course.

I like the star wars allusion- I'll mount my Y-wing on top of my bot next
time it line follows :)

I would really like to know who or how was it decided that bots should follow a single line in
the first place. Is it just to save on black paint or the number of light sensors?
Any clues?

I think that there was an assumption (by people on other robotic
platforms) that the hardware would be sufficient for this kind of thing.
Certainly, Braitenberg makes all kinds of crazy assumptions about
hardware. When we try to implement those ideas on what we have, things
get "interesting."

I'm still trying to find a better citation on-line for the flow vector
stuff, but no luck so far. Talk to you later-
Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous