 Robotics / 8268
RE: Line Followers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:58:31 GMT

What if the light sensor were mounted on a boom arm (or a sliding track)
which was attached by gears to a motor and a rotation sensor. Then what you
would do is create a fast response control loop using the right on black,
left on white rule.  The idea is to always keep the sensor on the edge of
the line and know the robot's offset from the line based on the sensor
position.  Now you do whatever line following algorithm you want using the
sensor location input instead of the line detection.  I figure that the
sensor loop ought to be about 5 to 10 times faster than the robot loop (or
the response of the robot loop can just be damped or use thresholds).  The
total available travel of the sensor would have to be sized according the
slow loop rate and the speed of the robot.  This should let your robot run
without wiggling around too much.  What do you think, good idea?

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hassenplug [mailto:SteveH@mailcode.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 11:54 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: RE: Line Followers

I've been working on a line following bot.  My original idea
was to have an
arm that swings back and forth (to cover about 3 inches) over
a line and
would be able to adjust the direction of the bot based on the
position of
the line within the arc.

The first problem is that running a rotation sensor directly
off the arm
doesn't give me much  in the line of feedback (only three of
four counts)
and I couldn't get touch sensors to work very reliably,
either.  So it was
hard to track the position of the arm.

The next issue is that there is a problem if, for example,
the arm swings to
the left at the same time the line swings to the right.  The
bot could loose
the line altogether.

So, I stepped back and made a very simple edge following
robot.  It turns
right when it sees black, and left when it sees white.  It
still seems to
wiggle too much, but I'll work on that.  It's really my first
line following
bot.  It made it around the [old] test track in less than
five seconds, but
I'm not sure how that compares to other bots.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to build a track everyone
could use?
Some way for us all to compare against each other?

My first thought is to make up a 'track' that consists of
several pieces of
paper that can be taped together to form a single track, and
then post these
pages on the web.  Any other ideas?

Steve