 Robotics / 8253
RE: Line Following by Humans versus Bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:20:28 GMT

An example of this effect is that spinning tunnel that Universal Studios has
(had?) that was also featured in an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man
(the Big Foot episodes, IIRC).  The walls of the tunnel spin clockwise as
you move through it.  It basically makes you *feel* like you are falling
over sideways -- very disorienting.  As far as the fly goes, it would be
interesting (devious?) to get one of those "holding pattern" flies that
always flies straight then turns 90 degrees  and put it in the sliding wall
hallway.  Would it fly in arcs or just turn more or less than 90 degrees?
Inquiring minds want to know...

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Villa [mailto:liv@duke.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 8:08 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots

I wish I had time to post more on this right now, but suffice
it to say
there has been a lot of research on how humans and animals do
this type
of thing. Staying within a hallway without bumping into the walls is
actual done by taking a mental snapshot and comparing it to the next
"frame"- in that way, we determine the relative motion of each of the
areas we are looking at, and attempt to make those relative
motions fit
our ideas of what we should see (i.e., they should both be moving the
same amount if we are going down the center of the hall, left
wall should
be moving more if we are turning left, etc.)

The experiments that have done to "prove" this have been done
mainly on
flies. By putting them in a "hallway" where one wall is
actually moving
(scrolling, IIRC) they tend to turn towards or away from that
wall, as
appropriate.

I can't find any URLs at the moment, but if you want to
search for it,
the technical term for what we produce is a "flow field"
because we are
determining how objects around us are "flowing." Look for
that and see
what you can find.
-Luis

P.S. Oh yeah- do I even need to mention that I know about this
because it is the topic of extensive research, and is essentially
impossible to do without video cameras and complex
algorithms? Not much
computation involved (a fly can do it, after all) but still complex.