 Robotics / 8247
Re: Functional languages and/or RCX wrapper code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:53:57 GMT

--- Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Brian Connors wrote:
-Finally, the big question: what in the world is
anyone actually going to do with Spectre when it's
completed?

Hmm. No real idea, except say we can. Frankly,
something that has been
nagging at me lately is: what happens with all of
this wealth of software
that we've created when RCX 2.0 comes out? There is
enough software out
there to do really great stuff, but the HW ends up
being incredibly
limiting when you want to stretch the limits of the
software. I really,
really hope that the next version of the bot expands
on the HW without
causing serious problems in porting over all this
stuff.

If Lego keeps doing what they're doing, I suspect 2.0
will be a much more open architecture than 1.0 or 1.5.
At the very least they should wind up documenting the
RCX at the bytecode level (if they're smart, that is),
so that the hacker types can bypass spirit.ocx without
having to crack it first.

As far as using it, well, I'd probably use it to
(basically) export stuff
that is really hard to debug to the PC, and end up
using the 'bot mainly
for simple on the fly calculatios and as a mobile
sensor platform.

That would work.

A couple of other things have also occured to me:

-Designing RCX development environments becomes much
easier, as the codegen is taken out of the loop.
-A working spirit.ocx clone makes computer<->RCX
integration practically trivial; you don't have to
rewrite firmware, and as long as the binding (and an
appropriate Seance driver) is available you're not
tied down to a particular OS or hardware.

For the record, I'll put up a Seance spec as soon as
I've finished deciphering send.c, then the promised
tarball should be up some time this week as long as I
can get it to build (can't test yet; the RCX-less
state I mentioned when I announced NQCIPC continues
:-( ).

/Brian

=====