 Robotics / 8137
Re: Help on upgrading MS 1.0 to 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:48:27 GMT

This whole discussion got me curious if I had just lucked out getting my
free $3.95 upgrade, so I call Consumer Affairs (800 233-8756) and spoke to
Barbara. She explained the whole policy as: (and I paraphrase here, but
accurately I think)

Any RIS 1.0 purchased between August 1, 1999 and March 31, 2000 is eligible
for the free upgrade with proof of purchase, even if the box does not have
the upgrade sticker on it.  Just call 800 446-6107 (the # which is given on
the upgrade sticker if you have one) to order the free upgrade.

I was not asked for proof of purchase when I upgraded, which was lucky since
I lost it, might you might be.  Perhaps it was proof of purchase rather than
the whole set which Maneesh should have been asked for.  Misunderstandings
do happen, even with as nice a group of customer service reps as those at
Consumer Affairs and S@H.

If you're still shopping, here's my best attempt at a version 1.0 vs. 1.5
spotter's guide. If the set # is 9719, it's the RIS ver.1.0 and the box,
manual, etc have no mention of a version number.  Visually, the picture of
the RCX on the upper right corner of the box faces to the right.  Some of
these, apparently, have a sticker added to the front of the box indicating a
free upgrade to version 1.5.  AFAIK, these all have the "old" RCX with the
external power jack on the opposite end from the IR window.

The RIS version 1.5 is set # 9747 and the box, manual cover etc say
"ROBOTICS INVENTION SYSTEM 1.5".  The RCX picture on the box faces to the
left.  You can see a picture of this one at  http://www.legomindstorms.com
and click on the PRODUCTS button.  This is not to say that the store clerk
or on-line retail web-master will know any of this, so buyer beware.

So, all you robotic LEGO maniacs, go scour those shelves for 9719's.  The
hunt is on!

Rick Kirkwood