 Robotics / 7986
RE: New info and SDK for the Scout!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 22:26:54 GMT

Agreed.

Regardless, this blue brick is going to move from my desktop to the
workbench, and I'm happy not to have to wait for a year.

It's interesting to see this (apparent overture?) from TLG.  Wasn't the SDK
(or at least the documentation of the .OCX) for the RCX released well after
the product came out?  The opportunity to participate in refinement of the
product is rather unique, not completely unlike beta testing of software,
but with perhaps more opportunity to shape the outcome.

I am looking forward to what this wonderfully dynamic community will make
of this.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Munafo [SMTP:munafo@gcctech.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 1999 4:31 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: New info and SDK for the Scout!

Well Jeffrey, actually the SDK they say they are releasing soon is clearly
not
the same as the product they proposed for fall 2000.

The SDK being released soon is a sort of technical hobbyist-oriented thing,
not
a supported product and not particularly friendly to kids (although I'm
sure
plenty of kids will have no problem with it)

It also says on the web page (
http://www.legomindstorms.com/products/rds/hackers.asp ) that they are
releasing this to encourage experimentation and get feedback (which will be
used to design a new version of the RCX). It is quite possible they will
even
be using some of the feedback for the completion of the fall 2000 Scout
product.

- Robert Munafo                 www.mrob.com