 Robotics / 7876
Re: It's Time AFOL Take Action!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:39:52 GMT

I have only two significant gripes about TLG, and one of them occurs only
sporadically:

(1) The trend in macro-pieces (such as wall pieces, boat hulls, and columns)
which replace with one brick what could (and should) be several smaller
standard pieces. I _am_ going to start an on-line petition about this one
issue in the next week or so.

(2) A price/piece ratio that can be ridiculous for certain sets.

On the positive side, we've seen a large number of great things come out of
Lego ...

(1) Large "FreeStyle" buckets that usually contain a great selection of
bricks and special pieces for as little as $0.05 US per brick. There are
also DACTA sets, such as #9287 (if you can get 'em), that have a huge piece
count and great selection of pieces. There are "brick bins" containing 1,200
pieces that are somewhat boring, but great for providing the basics.

(2) A wide selection of parts packs are available; although slightly low in
piece count, they are a reasonable source for accessories.

(3) A wonderful Shop-at-Home Service (for the USA), both from a price and
delivery standpoint.

(4) A selection of themed sets that supports a wide variety of
interests--everything from _Star Wars_ to castles.

(5) And, of course, MindStorms _et al_--which, IMHO, easily outweighs all of
Lego's faults.

Is TLG perfect? Not by a long shot. Why did they produce the Fright Nights
line? Why didn't they reinforce the engines on the X-Wing set? (The
1/3-height black 2 x 2 cylinders which attach the back parts of the engines
are made from a different plastic that seems to act like a spring and make
the rear assembly pop off. I fixed mine by inserting #4 axles through the
engine assemblies.) Why are parts packs not available in more colors and in
higher piece quantities? Why is it taking so long to get an Internet-based
purchasing system up-and-running?

Ultimately, the reason this debate happens is because we're all crazy about
Lego. If we didn't care, we wouldn't care.

... Well, there's my $0.03.

--Doug Wilcox