 Robotics / 7795
RE: Robot navigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 20:24:53 GMT

I have been working on this too, and I decided that I am going to live with
a certain amount of uncertainty.  If I can get to within a few inches of
where I think I am, that's going to be good enough.  Until it isn't
anymore, and then back to the drawing board....

I have bought a compass from Dinsmore Instrument, but I haven't finished
the packaging yet.  It fits neatly with a round PCB into one of those
"hazardous waste" type containers from the rescue sub kit.

This compass will be too "loose" for real time navigation, i.e. 22.5 deg
resolution.  I plan on testing its repeatability at a transition state, say
N to NE, and then use that as a "home" position for my rotating light
sensor which is looking for two beacons.  The transition states, if they
are small enough, can also then be used to steer along imaginary lines
corresponding to the eight cardinal points on the compass.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Gombos [SMTP:lego-robotics@crynwr.com]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 3:32 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Robot navigation

Is anyone else working on possible techniques, like electronic
compasses to correct heading errors and echo location to
correct position errors?

Here is an Idea. If you know where you are sort of, then you can program
an object into memory at a certian distance(a wall perhaps). Once the
robot hits something, it checks to see if it is about at the distance
programmed into it. If it is, then it just updates the position data with
the known value. That way, certian objects can be placed at known
positions and used for positioning. The only problem would be if it did
not go perfectly straight, and missed the reference object, unless it was
a wall surrounding the area.

Andy