 Robotics / 7768
Re: Mindfest Panel: Robotics in the Classroom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:26:18 GMT

(be warned - this is a long posting about Mindstorms in teaching)

In lugnet.robotics, Ben Erwin writes:
My talk (slides and text... no video yet) for the Robotics in the
Classroom panel at Minfest this past weekend is at
http://www.tufts.edu/~berwin/mindfest/
if anyone is interested.

Dear Ben,

Thanks a lot. I liked your speech. Marcus and I were really sad that we could
not come. At least I now got a little peak into one of the subjects that has
my great interest.

Your point about the teacher and the engineer is very true. Nothing beats
inspiration - motivate those kids!. This is what makes the Mindstorms
community so fascinating. Sometimes my mind is just blown away by the energy,
resourcefulness and creativity displayed here - who can resist the temptation
of being part of that?
[BTW I am a lawyer - were does that leave me in the teacher/engineer equation?]

I have some specific comments:

1) I am sure you and many here are familiar with System Dynamics (another MIT
learning idea). I think Mindstorms is one of the most powerful System Dynamic
teaching tools I have ever seen.

Very often (not always) System Dynamics tends to be very dependent on the
computer and the pupil/computer interface. The computer simulates several
possible options. Mindstorms is different. Here children see System Dynamics
in action right before their eyes. Limitations to problem solving are very
few. Throughout the design process and when the robot does not work correctly
they find themselves in a very dynamic situation. Do they want to try changing
the mechanics or the programme - or do they change several aspects of the
robot - maybe moving ahead faster - but also making it much more difficult to
see which changes were positive and negative to the operation of the robot.

I find children grasping this sometimes-difficult concept fast when it comes
to Mindstorms. The trade-off is just so clear to see and experience.

2) I missed something about the time-constraints involved when working with
Mindstorms in education. This is a real-life problem.

It takes time for kids to do any independent project. Two weeks ago Marcus (10
years) made a very cool dragster with parachute eject at the finish line - not
that advanced although it was quite tricky to make the light sensor read the
finish line (sorry no pictures). This project took the two boys about eight
hours to complete even if they co-operated very well. Some of his projects go
on for many days covering 20 or 30 hours.

When I work with Victor (5 years) and his friends with Robolab I calculate at
least 4 - 5 hours even in Pilot mode.

For teaching groups I would myself recommend at least two or three hours for
each session. Some kids take off fast - others get bored or disillusioned as
soon as they encounter the first problems and they need backing and new
inspiration to keep going. Lots of teachers simply do not think they have that
kind of time available for a "science project" (this is *not* my label).

3) On learning issues the interdisciplinary nature of Mindstorms cannot be
stressed too much. There is no reason to limit the scope to math, science and
engineering. It can just as well include projects on subjects like art,
history, sociology etc. I have done several.

It is mostly a question of the overall framework for the project. Here
Mindstorms is a chance to focus to the process and to look at solutions in
stead of answers - just as you say. Like when a robot needs some human "help"
to complete a specific action. Some people react as if it is "cheating",
however, this may very well be a perfectly acceptable solution in real life.

Once Victor made a Mindstorms challenge with a bug covering itself with "dirt"
and then stopping. Making a working shovel go overhead was out of his reach -
so he just threw paper over it and it would stop. There were several other
sensors in use with no apparent function - like a temperature sensor that was
not even plugged in. He just thought it looked "cool". It was a great success
for him and the kids just loved it.

If we want a "new school" (and we do!) we must break down the barriers between
disciplines. We need people who can master a complex 21st century world; math-
experts that speak French and can motivate 6 co-workers in a problem-solving
group in Mali looking at distribution of scarce water resources.

4) (Sorry to say so, but) I do not think Robolab is that great a tool. Some of
the actions like linking commands together and nesting can seem quite arcane
and the software is too far from most kids "Windows"-world. I am sure you make
the children catch on quickly, however esspecially for the more complex
programs Gordons Brick Programmer seems to be easier to use for most kids.

Play well!

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin

PS: Thank you for your programme. Marcus is looking forward to seeing you next
summer!

---
Franz-Michael S. Mellbin
E-mail: fischer-mellbin@fischer-mellbin.com