 Robotics / 7510
RE: AI and even more exiciting stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:20:16 GMT

Ummm, respectfully, yes. If the team took days to rework the code when
control data tables change, then they were not using tools and methods
appropriate to the task at hand. I'm hoping you weren't "them" :-)

I wasn't them...  I was involved with the control system algorithm
development and analysis.  This bunch was definitely not using a tool --
they were doing it all by hand.  I'm sure they were not doing it right
either because sometimes the computations would blow up.  It was treated
like a black art -- which I guess in this case it was.  They had
spent years
developing then tweaking this code -- all in assembly.  I wrote
it in C for
a simulation I had in two days.

I've done simulations on spreadsheets and simple scripting languages when
it was too much bother to get the C compiler running properly....

Well, maybe you should write a book on it.  "The Black Art of Fixed Point
Math:  EXPOSED!" -- I'd buy it :-)

Oh Oh, don't tempt me.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng