 Robotics / 7273
Re: LEGO robotics dis'd in CACM Forum.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:22:58 GMT

Tilman Sporkert wrote:

Anyhoo, it's an interesting point.  I'm not aware of other kits
that are mechanically superior *and* as flexible as LEGO.  I
always assumed that the flexiblility and reusibility were the
keys, as well as teaching general problem-solving.

Fischer-Technik is mechanically far superior and more flexible than
Lego. It uses metal axles, allows variable positioning (not studs),
and is much stronger overall. You can build mechanisms that do real
work without worrying about plastic axles bending or parts coming
off. Building a cable car with a base station weighted down with
books on the floor and another station clamped to the top of a book
shelf is no problem. Or building a construction crane that lifts
real weights.

Either of your examples are possible with Lego... at least
for sufficiently small quantities of "weights".  Seriously, I
always liked the engineering challenge that Lego provides.  Solving
the structural and mechanical issues generally carries over to other
kinds of kits.  If you can figure out how to make a Lego robot that
can pull twice its weight and survive a drop from a table then you
could probably make a pint-sized robot that pulls several hundred
kg with a stronger kit.

Personally, I've already decided that when I find Lego to
be severely limiting then it's time to start building that machine
shop I've always wanted and custom-manufacturing my own parts. :)

But it lacks in availability, variety, refinement and
fool-proofness. Here in the US, Fischer-Technik is very hard to come
by. There's no equivalent of S@H, no sets at your local Target,
Fry's Electronic, or Toys'R'Us. No integrated wiring system that
you can't get wrong. No trains. No DUPLO. No $25 submarine sets
with air tanks. Even in Germany (where it comes from), you find
Fischer Technik only in the hobby section of larger toy stores,
next to the model trains and remote control airplanes. Store
inventory is usually very limited. Their equivalent of the RCX
isn't much more than a circuit board with plug connectors on the
inputs and outputs. You have to fiddle with individual wires and
ribbon cables.

Reminds me a little of the Beta vs. VHS situation.

It reminds me of a really good guitarist I knew that made
a point to practice at least an hour a week on a cheap plastic
toy guitar. (I think it even had pictures of cartoon characters on
it.)  His theory was that if he could make that guitar sound good
then it would improve his playing overall.  I can't argue with him.
He made that little guitar sound pretty good.

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)