 Robotics / 7264
RE: LEGO robotics dis'd in CACM Forum.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:00:58 GMT

"Also, while LEGOs (sic) are a wonderful tool for encouraging creative
play in children, they fall flat as a university educational or
research tool.  LEGOs (sic) have so many structural limitations, and
LEGO geartrains have such poor frictional and backlash characteristics,
that the techniques required to build a functioning LEGO robot are
completely different from those needed to design a real-world machine.
... The same criticism also applies, in lesser degree, to sensors and
actuators, which have poor noise and accuracy characteristics, making
it difficult to ascertain the performance of any higher-level
algorithms implemented on them."

The letter goes on to wonder why other robotic kits are not used
instead of LEGO kits since "most are just as flexible, reusable, and
cost-effective as LEGOs, and have much better mechanical properties."

John C.
--

Meccano was really cool when i was a kid (metal plates with holes and
brackets with holes and bolts and nuts...). It definitley has the

Hajo