 Robotics / 7250
Re: Light Sensor in Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:22:08 GMT

The sensor uses two semiconductor devices (that's as technical as I'll get,
hopefully).  One of them is light sensing and the other is light producing.  The
sensor works by sending out some light and then sensing how much of that light
is reflected back.

To be a little more specific, the sensing device is one of two possibilities: a
photodiode or else a phototransistor.  The transistor is more sensitive, but
can't react as quickly as the diode.  Probably a diode is used, sense the light
sensor tends to react quickly, but isn't very sensitive.

The sending device is certainly a Light Emitting DIode (LED).  Several types are
available and the one used was selected because it sends the frequency of light
the sensing device can detect.

I'm sure if this info is wrong, someone will correct me.  :)

-Wes

Bryan Wong wrote:

Could somebody explain in layman's terms how the light sensor works?  Thanks!

Bryan