 Robotics / 7169
Re: 8448 Street Sensation Racing - Are you game?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:25:01 GMT

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Jacob Schultz wrote:
i.e. 100% Pure Lego.
Absolutely. However much I'd love to have a complete set of Michael
Gasperi's toys (I mean sensors) such a challenge would only work for me
if I could do it the pure way :) (except, of course, for software...)

Ok, what should we allow then? Only the RIS set or also extra sensors?

Well, as part of a course here at school, I have six RCXs, each with
three light sensors and three rotation sensors. So that will be the rules
when I run the race :)

How should we construct the track? I suggested marking the curbs with a
black line, but mayby a gradient could be used so cars can find their
way back on track if pushed out or crashed by itself (it's a pity those
LEGO cityroads are so narrow).

Yeah- I had always wondered if the touch sensors could handle sensing the
"texture" of legos- i.e., if you edged the track with a "rough" surface
of legos, would a properly positioned touch sensor be able to sense it
properly?

The track should be at least 30cm wide if
only one car races at a time and no less than 60cm if more are on track
at the same time.

I had been thinking almost exactly the same width- 24" (61cm). That is
conveniently the largest size that my local photocopy place can copy.

It would also be a good idea to put in some markes to
make position estimation easier.

My latest though on that is to invert the gradient, so that the darkest
part is on either edge and the lightest in the center. With two light
sensors and controlled light, it would be reasonably easy to ascertain
where on the track the robot was, by measuring 1) the value of each
sensor 2) the differential between the sensors and 3) the previous
difference- so that if you suddenly shift from light on the left and dark
on the right to light on the right and dark on the left, you know you've
just gotten off the track.

Now my only problem is that I only have one RCX and I don't know anybody
in the neighborhood who owns one. So there is no one to race with :-(

Doh. Sorry about that- I've been thinking about all of this with the six
RIS kits that the class owns in mind.

-Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous