 Robotics / 6965
RE: The Scout vs. the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:19:48 GMT

The Scout will communicate with the rcx tower, which leads me to
believe it will be
programmable in the future.  It will also respond to signals from
either the tower or from the rcx.

Here's the exact wording from the documentation in the Scout set:
- Program the Scout using your PC
- Control the Scout via a witeless infrared link
- Unlock new functions and sensor capabilities
It does not say "write programs on your PC" or anything like that. I expect
the software to be not much more than an on-screen version of the Scout's
LCD display, with additional choices for each command category. Maybe we
already know what those choices are - you already posted the list of IR
commands the Scout responds to a couple of days ago. And there are function
in that list that are not accessible from it's display.

Another possibility might be that you can write programs that execute on the
PC, and send a stream of commands to the Scout to make it do things. Sort of
like some of Cybermaster's applications.

I agree, not as many parts, but I can imagine lots of things they
might do together.  A different animal to
be sure, but not necessarily a dumb one.  I think if I had to
choose one over the other, the rcx
would win, but I think the Scout is still worth exploring.

Yes, exploring is the right word. That's why I bought one. It's still fun to
play with it. But if you are looking at expanding your RCX based system,
it's probably not a good choice. Unless Lego starts selling Scout bricks for
$50 or so. And remember, the Scout is for 9 year olds, the RCX is for 12
year olds.

Tilman