 Robotics / 6729
Re: Gripper and lift arm with single motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:08:23 GMT

Hi All

I have built such a device as part of my rather belated entry to "Joel's
Challenge"

The grippers are connected to an arm via the small bevel gears.

The whole mechanisim is attached to the robot via two arms

I use one motor geared down via a pulley and belt ( in case it jams or the load
is too heavy ) then thru one of those worm gear box thingies and finally to a 8t
to 40t gear set.

The final drive is connected to an arm then via a link to the other arm.

When the gripper is down and open the arms are in a forward position and the
gripper assembly is supported on a couple of "stops" which prevent the gripper
going down any further.

So to raise it the grippers close and grab the can or other object then when
they cant close any further the whole assembley lifts up. The opposite happens
when the motor is reversed the whole gripper assembly goes down until it hits
the stops then the grippers open.

I cheated a little by putting some soft foam rubber strip on the inside of the
grippers to increase grip on object as the whole principal relies on gravity.

Hmmmm.... I have just reread this and realised how hard it is to describe
something like this.  I will get some pictures and if any one has some space on
a web server I can let you all see what I am babbling about.

Regards
Brian Wiren
Team Leader - EPDC LAN/WAN/Desktop
CSC Australia
Ph: +61 08 9421 6449    Mobile: 0417 983 642    Fax: +61 08 9385 1585
Email: bwiren@csc.com.au