 Robotics / 6651
Re: IR to PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 05:09:48 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Joel Shafer wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting the RCX to communicate with a PC IR device
(such as a laptop's IR port)?  From my feeble understanding, it would take
either writing the IRDA protocol on the RCX via LegOS, or writing a device
driver on the PC side to code the lego IR protocol.  Is this correct, and
has anyone done this or even attempted it?

It is my understanding that IrDA and the RCX use totally different
carrier frequencies for the IR ports, and thus are incompatible at
a much more basic hardware level.  This has been discussed in great
detail in the past, so I recommend browsing the archives (available
on http://www.lugnet.com).

Why not hook up your Lego IR transmitter to your laptop/WinCE device
via the serial cable, and control it that way?

There was a team working on making a programmable IR remote for
some WinCE devices that I read about a few months ago, but they
had a very short list of supported hardware (think it was one or
two devices), because the others didn't offer the low-level carrier
frequency control required to talk at a standard IR modulation
frequency.

alex