 Robotics / 662
Re: gear differential [URL]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:07:26 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Daryl McLaurine [C]) writes:

Hello, all...
I was the one that brought up using a gear differential to solve
another's problem.  Here is a URL of a better design  than mine.

http://www.nd.edu/~lego/grp4/backup/www/grp2/www/91geared.htm

But is it a good idea to put a differential between the two motors?  My
experience with this is kinda bad.  I once did something quite similar,
but when the drivetrain was loaded, one of the motors reversed, making
the diff output zero.  This happened, BTW, when I geared down the motors
by 3:1 before passing the axle to the differential.

I think you can safely let two motors drive the same gear, without a
differential inbetween.  Putting an 8t cog on each motor and a 40t cog
between the two should provide much power.  Just make sure you run the
motors in the same direction!

Fredrik