 Robotics / 6615
Re: Climbing robot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:13:46 GMT

Pete Hardie wrote:

Ben Erwin wrote:

I've seen a ROBOLAB video where someone had made a bot which
could climb glass doors with suction cups and pneumatics, and
Fudd has got his stair climber... but has anyone made a robot
that can climb a pole of some sort? i.e. straight up?

I have some ideas in the works but wanted to gather other
thoughts/ideas before I attempt anything.  Thanks.

Well, my initial thought is that a simple climber is one that has
an inchworm-style motion - open upper gripper, extend the upper
half, close upper gripper, release lower gripper, contract body
to raise lower gripper, close lower gripper, repeat.

What about a set of tank treads (3 or more) that just hug
the pole and go?  With the proper tension is might work.

Just a thought,
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)