 Robotics / 6597
6596  |  6598
Subject:
Software builds LEGO structures..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:19:56 GMT

http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/bran-ifc082599.html

I don't know if this has been posted to the list, but I thought it might be
of intrest..

Looks like all us bot builders could be out of a job soon..  :-P

"Evolution, until now the unchallenged domain of living organisms, may soon
become possible for robots as well. So say computer scientists at Brandeis
University, where a simple computer-based form of evolution -- nature's own
design strategy -- has succeeded in designing LEGO structures without any
assistance from humans. It's the first successful leap from today's
computer-aided design into the futuristic realm of fully automated design,
and the first baby step toward the artificial intelligence community's
longstanding dream of evolutionary robotics, where robots might eventually
adopt some form of evolution."

l8r
Sean