 Robotics / 6544
RE: RCX programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:05:33 GMT

I have been tasked with developing a way to program the RCX using ADA.  Does
anyone have any advice that could get me headed in the right direction?
Also, I would be interested in any information on the use of high level
programming languages (especially C) to send code to the RCX.
Thanks.
Steve

Hmmm, your email tag <C00Stephen.LePrell@USAFA.af.mil> says that you
work for the USAF - and I REALLY am curious as to the purpose of programming
the RCX in ADA. I wonder if there is an effort underway to teach ADA software
engineering at Air Force Academies?

If it's for training programmers, then the language itself is unimportant in
my opinion. It is more important to get the concepts of software engineering
straigh, which include:

1. Choosing and implementing algorithms
2. Data and procedure abstraction
3. Maintaining version history
4. Design for testability, etc

These concepts can be taught in any language. Check my website in the sigline
below for links to pbFORTH, as well as links to all of the other options out
there including NQC, LegOS, BotCode, and the RCX internals and opcodes...

And keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>