 Robotics / 649
Re: gear differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:43:51 GMT

From: stephen p spackman <stephen@acm.org>
Actually I'm still proud of it - I built an all-LEGO automatic
transmission.

Only *how* it worked was by using pairs of the little crown bushings
(seemingly defunct as of this year?) as clutches, a pair at each end of
an axle (adjusted very *very* carefully to get exactly zero clearance
when turning free) with a worm gear thrusting against a rubber band to
measure the applied force (and of course the usual 2:2 and 3:1 gear
ratios around the two ends)....

Its easier to build transmissions using the freewheels 16t gear (its a 16t
with a smooth hole in the middle, so it spins on axles).  If you search for
"technic transmission lego" on http://www.dejanews.com you can see a couple
of different designs.  The one that I've built (from an article that I found
there) had 3 speeds (direct, 3/4, and 3/1).

Here is the article (you'll want a fixed size font for this)

I recently got 5 packs of 'gear wheels' from S@H.  Each pack includes a
*very* useful little gear.  I've never seen this particular gear in any
set, and I was wondering what it was for.  It's number 6542, has 16 teeth,
and is unusual because of it's colour- dark grey rather than the usual
light grey.  I have been wanting a similar gear for some time, and now
I have 5 of them!  What makes it so special is it doesn't attach to the
shaft- it just spins free.  Also, it has a place where you can mechanically
attach other legos or 2 of the gears can fit together.

So far, I have used it in two diffrent projects.  The first is a real
working clock.  Yes, it keeps time.  It has a pendulum that swings
back and forth, it has an automatic electric winder (it's spring
driven), and concentric minute/ hour hands.  The gear came in handy for
the concentric minute/ hour hand arrangement.

The other project I whipped up tonight was a very cool transmission.
It has selectable ratios 3,9, and 27.  (from the motor)  Reverse is
coming, but not implemented yet.  Here it is:

# - Z16 gear
$ - funky 16-tooth gear (#6542)
% - Z8 gear
* - Z24 gear
! - Shaft
M - motor

            !     !
         !  !  %*****
         !  !  !  !
        ### ! $$$###
        #########
        ### ! $$$###
         !  !  !  !
         !  !*****%
                  !
                  !
               %*****
             MMMMM
             MMMMM
             MMMMM

The 1st shaft on the left is the output shaft.
The 2nd shaft on the left is the shifter shaft, move it up/down to adjust
speed.

Sorry the drawing wasn't clear, but ASCII doesn't lend itself well to lego
drawing! ;-)

alex