 Robotics / 6475
6474  |  6476
Subject:
Using RCX with Lego Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:17:32 GMT

I just picked up the Lego "Railway Express" set (#4561) last night.

It comes with a "Toy Transformer" electrical plug (adaptor). The
label on the plug says (North American version):
     Input: 120 VAC   60 Hz   0.12 A
     Output: 12 VAC   7 VA
Would this work as a power supply for the RCX - the power-out plug
fits properly, but I don't want to risk plugging it in without
knowing for sure that it supplies the right power for the RCX? (A
tag/sticker on the plug's cable says "Only for LEGO(R) articles")

Power to the tracks is controlled through a "Speed Regulator"
(available separately as #4548). The connector from the tracks to the
regulator plugs into the regulator with our familiar 2x2 black
connector. This leads me to wonder weather I could safely
power/control the tracks as an output from the RCX. Any thoughts?

The engine car has a 2x2 output - a 1x2 light block comes with the
set. I've successfully hooked up a motor (from the RIS) to this
output. It's also possible to stack the output (both the motor and
the light on the same output), as normal.

I'm looking forward to mixing in the RCX with the trains - more fun
than you can shake a stick at!

--
http://www.nisto.com/