 Robotics / 644
Re: Building gcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:04:03 GMT

The instructions I wrote up were for the GNU gcc distribution 2.8.1, not for
the cygnus distribution.  I haven't tried building the cygnus distribution,
so I don't know what the differences are.

Ah, I missed that part.  So crossgcc is a _patch_ that maybe affects how
the compiler does things, maybe or maybe not making it compile without the
header file mess.  And it probably makes gcc run correctly under (only?)
Cygwin.  Got it.

[Don't know if anybody out there is from Cygnus, but I think the Cygwin
stuff is pretty cool.  Anyone out there who doesn't know about it ought to
check it out.  http://www.cygnus.com/.]

Did you compile Cygwin32 for the H8 under Windows ?
I tried this but generating binutils didn't work, as there is a configure-script
that requires some kind of unix-like shell running (and you don't find that in a
dos-box), a configure.bat that calls sed and something called update (and there
is no sed under windows), and a configure.com which makes my printer go crazy
doing screen-dumps.

So i installed the precompiled cygwin32, which comes with an implementation of
bash and sed and all the other tools, and tried compiling the sources in that
environment, but even under that bash the configure-script does not run, as it
(bash) does not recognize scripts unless you call them with "source scriptname"
or ". scriptname" or "bash scriptname".

Does anybody know a feasible way to get that thing set up ?

Sven