 Robotics / 6413
RE: A quick afterthough on - Ideas for a RIS 2.0 [fischertechnik]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:38:14 GMT

Actually, there is a platform that provides an alternative - fischertechnik.
See http://www.knobloch-gmbh.de/fischer/kay/index.htm
<http://www.knobloch-gmbh.de/fischer/kay/index.htm>  but first turn down
your sound. Click on Computer and then Baukaesten and you will see both
Mobile Computers and Industry Robots. The Mobile Computing set is not
available at the robot store but timberdoodle has it for $325. The interface
itself offers four outputs and eight+plus sensors and can be had for the
about the price of an RCX (250DM).
I current have intend to have a sumo robot competition between the RCX and
fishcertechnik (my son's idea).

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: alex wetmore [SMTP:alex@phred.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 6:04 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com; John Barnes
Subject: Re: A quick afterthough on - Ideas for a RIS 2.0

From: John Barnes <barnes@sensors.com>
> Anyone who is seriously involved in designing new sensors etc for
> use with the RCX could probably do their own RCX replacement as
well?

It has been done, but it predated the RCX.  Check out the
Handyboard.

The advantage to the RCX is that it is a standard platform which is
readily
available.  I can go out and buy a kit, then build a robot.  I can
then
explain how I built this robot to you, and you can build the same
thing with
easy to find, off the shelf parts.

If you want to build more advanced robots there are magazines and
books
discussing the issue.  There just isn't another platform which is as
readily
available as the RCX.

alex

--