 Robotics / 6396
6395  |  6397
Subject:
RIS 2.0 Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:46:00 GMT

Greetings,
     Not that the current RCX is not good but if I had a
choice I would like to see an entirely new design. I would like to it to
be modular. The CPU should be about half the size of the current RCX
with expansion ports (not sensor or motor ports). I would like expansion
modules designed so that I can add what I need.
      Example - I build a biped robot - the CPU is in
the chest, there is a motor expansion module in the hips that gets
plugged into the RCX CPU module that controls the motors for the walking
functions. I would install a sensor module in its head that would
support whatever sensors I decided to use.
     I want complete flexibility and minimal size for
each unit. It should support X number of motors and X number of sensors
and I then buy the modules to reach that number as my budget and desires
see fit. It should also have the ability to have a direct cable link
between 2 (or more)RCX CPUs - if I want them to communicate I do not
want IR limitations forcing me to install them facing each other in the
given model. I would also like expandable memory.
      The basic kit could contain the RCX CPU, 1 sensor
module that supports 4 sensors, and 1 motor module that supports 4
motors. I think a good cap would be the ability to add 3 more of each
module for a total of 16 motors and 16 sensors. The memory limit...I
have no idea.
      I would like to see many new types of sensors : a
Gyroscope, a compass, heat (as in body not temp.), sonar, basic tilt,
and a load sensor to name a few. I would like to see micro motors that
are not so noisy. I would like to see something done with muscle wire.
Anyway I would like to see a few new things.
     From a software standpoint it is beyond my scope of
intellect. Maybe Lego could give Dave Baum a few hundred K to develop
super-new and improved-voice recognition-NQC 2000.

<<...>>
   Operations Manager
    HCI Enterprise Solutions
    (703)736-2647