 Robotics / 6371
Re: JAVA RMI and RCX brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:21:58 GMT

There's more on JINI and MINDSTORMS here:

  http://pandonia.canberra.edu.au/java/jini/tutorial/Jini.xml

Jonathan

At 01:38 PM 8/16/99 -0400, Paul Speed wrote:
Andy Settle wrote:

First an introduction: I've been lurking for some time and know
that similar discussions have taken place recently however I feel
this has a different slant:-

Background:

I've been developing an event monitoring system for a major telco
with Java using it's lightweight distributed object mechanism RMI
(Remote Method Invocation). Don't switch off yet if your not into
Java - I'll try to explain. What RMI allows is a program on a
machine to present a service by a given name that remote
applications can utilise. These services are referenced in a
similar manner to a URL. For example:
RMI://carp.fish.net/BankTeller is the reference to the
BankTeller service/Object on the machine carp.fish.net (made up
BTW).

What's this gotta do with the RCX? Well here goes - make the RCX
interface with a wireless PCMCIA ethernet network card (like the
Apple AirPort: http://www.apple.com/ibook/airport.html or similar)
and present a service of RCX. Hence: RMI://myrcxathome.aol.com/RCX
and not only can I talk to one or more RCX's from my machine but
it would be possible to talk to a REMOTE RCX - no matter where in
the world they are.

Ok. wireless PCMCIA lan card is probably an expensive solution but
wireless serial would probably work if the base had the RMI service
in in instead.

In my opinion RMI is probably a lot easier to implement than
getting a full JVM into an RCX brick and the possibilities are
endless.

Am I being too fanciful?

No, not really.  However, I think you should take a look at
Jini.  Try starting here:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-1999/jw-08-jiniology.html

Jini is one step beyond RMI and is intended for this type
of application. (ie: simple devices on a network.)

As a matter of fact, Sun demonstrated Jini and MicroJava
by using wireless Palm Pilots to control a few Mindstorms Robots.
(I wish I could remember the link to the story.)  The RCX's just
implemented a simple protocol that talked to the PC.  The PC had
a Jini server implementation for the 'bots.  The Palm Pilots had
Jini clients that communicated over the wireless link to control
the 'bot servers.

Have fun,
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)