 Robotics / 6344
6343  |  6345
Subject:
Almost Ultrasonic Motion Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:28:17 GMT

A big problem with ultrasonic sensors is the power they consume to create
the ultrasonic beacon.  I don't think the RCX sensor port has enough output
to run one of these.   I've started to experiment with the sound generator
built into the RCX as the ultrasonic sound source.  Normally ultrasonic
sensors use about 40kHz.  The highest frequency the RCX makes is 20kHz, but
my microphone seems to only pick up to 15kHz so I decided to use that.  It
works pretty well, but I'm not sure what it does to dogs.  I have not fine
tuned it all yet, but I put what I've got on a web page.
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/motion.htm

--
For RCX Input and Sensor Information Visit:
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm