 Robotics / 6262
Re: Power Usage of RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:51:06 GMT

James Pritchard <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:01BEE41B.A7DED0C0.pritchard.james@virgin.net...
I was astonished to find that when the RCX is just on (NOT running a task)
with the light sensor, both switches, and both motors connected that the
Battery voltage drops very quickly. 12 mV a second or more. Is this to be
expected.

0.012V/second would be 0.72V/minute at that rate you would be to 0v in 12
minutes.  My RCX runs for several hours on a set of new alkaline batteries.
What type of batteries are you using?

Is the RCX watch sposed to reset to 00:00 after turning on and off (red
button)?

That is what mine does.  It reads mission time not absolute time.

I've also noticed that when a touch/switch is activated on port 3, a
increase of 2% occurs on the reflection/light sensor on port 2. Is this
leakage?

I don't see anything like this with my RCX.  It does make sense that the
light reading would go up if the voltage went down, but the light sensor has
a pretty complex circuit to compensate for this kind of thing.