 Robotics / 6253
RE: putting liquid into pneumatic elements (was Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:09:37 GMT

I'd wager that the seal (rubber?) is lubricated at the factory with a "dry"
lube.  The water probably washes some or all of it away causing the seal to
stick.  Once sticking begins it would not be long before the seal wears out.
The lubrication would have to be compatible with water applications (a
grease type lube might work better) for it to hold up.

My $.02

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Fredrik Gl?ckner [mailto:fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 9:22 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: putting liquid into pneumatic elements (was Re: Darn those
definitions (was: The new Super Car)

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (James Pritchard) writes:

I got water in the cylinders by accident. Shortly after that the seal
on the inside failed and they became useless.

That's my experience as well.  I tried to put water into my pneumatics
gear as a child, but it never functioned again after that.  Perhaps it
would have worked if I'd let it dry more thorough?  I'll never know, but
in the mean time I'll concur with James Pritchard below:

I advise everyone to keep air and NOT water in there pneumatics.

Then again it's been along time since then LEGO may have improved the
design.

Perhaps, but the pneumatics is basically the same now as in the JCB
excavator.  I had the even older style pneumatics as a child, which is
now ruined due to exposure to water.

I've always found the 8250 Sub to be a bit "offensive" in this way: Does
it not ask to be put into water, having the shape of a sub marine?

Fredrik