 Robotics / 6233
Re: RCX Firmware storage.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:22:14 GMT

In article <b6c77e97.24e21540@aol.com>, STARRWARSS@aol.com wrote:

After a near heartattack with my TI-89 after upgrading it's flash ROM (I
think it is flash rom, Flash Somethin,
http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/flash.htm).  I have to ask myself what exactly
does the RCX have to store the Fireware.

After pulling all avaible power source to my TI-89, it still retained the old
firmware.  This is kinda annoying due to the fact I like to play ASM games on
it and which caused the calculator to seiz up and not work til about 5
minutes without any batteries.

Accually, I am getting rather ticked off at my calculator now due to it won't
play any games.

Anywho, what exactly does the RCX use to store the Firmware?

KGB AgEnT #4 OUT AKA Clint Rutkas

Half of the firmware is really "firm" and is stored in the
microcontroller's on chip ROM.

The other half (which gets downloaded) isn't really firmware.  Its stored
in SRAM that is powered from the main batteries.  If you take out the
batteries the firmware will be lost after a few minutes.  If you want to
get rid of the firmware really fast, make sure the RCX is turned on when
you yank the batteries - it will be lost almost instantly.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com