 Robotics / 6026
6025  |  6027
Subject:
help needed with ROBOLAB sw on Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:26:20 GMT

I just got the ROBOLAB sw and am attempting to use it on
a Mac G3 with MacOS 8.6 .  I haven't got the IR tower yet
so I have not attempted any RCX communication, all I am
trying to do is play around with ROBOLAB's graphical
programming, and I can't even get that to work.

ROBOLAB does come up (though it does take a long time to init)
and at the inventor level I can drag function blocks (icons) to
the task window but once I drop them, I can not make any
subsequent mods. I can not figure out how to move, delete,
connect, disconnect etc or make any modifications to the
program, only drop new icons onto the window and make some
modifications to an individual element (i.e. add modifiers etc.).

Also was there supposed to be any documentation?  I sure
didn't get any.  The help window does work fine for describing
the various functions (though I haven't yet figured out what
the array bundle/unbudnle function does), but it provides no
overall program help (menu functions, option keys, etc.).

My guess is that ROBOLAB is just a wrapper around LabView
with a set of LabVIew descriptors for all the MINDSTORM
elements and programming primitives.  If so, is there a
way to just bypass the ROBOLAB stuff and use LabView
directly?

I am a pretty experienced programmer and Mac user so I am
rather supprised that I could not figure this thing out, but
I am stumped.  At this point I don't know if the sw is
defective (on MacOS 8.6 anyway) or if I just haven't yet
found the right key/mouse/menu combinations.  All advice
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
-jrg