 Robotics / 5978
idea: flashlight follower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:21:42 GMT

I made a flashlight follower using two motors placed underneath the RCX
in the middle (so it can turn in place), two skid-plates, and a light
sensor mounted on one end.  I made it a week ago as inspiration for the
LEGO summer-campers that came to Tufts.  I also brought it to the adult
LEGO builders party last night at The Construction Site in Waltham, MA.
(hi folks!)

I didn't know if there is a "standard" algorithm for light-seeking, but
the one I wrote (after several iterations) works pretty well.  I suppose
the best algorithm would also depend on the mechanics of the robot
itself.

Picture of robot and program are at
http://www.mit.edu/people/xuant/ben/lego.html most of the way down the
page.

It wiggles right for 0.2 seconds and then wiggles left for 0.2 seconds,
repeating this until it sees something 3 percentage points brighter than
it did when the program first started running.  When it sees something
that bright while wiggling left, it will lunge forward and to the left
until it loses the spot, and likewise with movement to the right (and
then repeat).

Has anyone else done something like this?  Is there a canonical
"light-following" algorithm? I found this type of robot to be the most
fun - something that you have control over.

-Ben