 Robotics / 5750
Re: [Rumour] FBI and Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:02:19 GMT

I think the State Department ban is on any recording devices.

Since the furby can record sounds, it's considered a recording device. It
can go in, but it can't come out. Since the RCX can record and broadcast
limited IR transmissions, it may also be considered a recording device and
therefore have the same restrictions.

Mind you a pad of paper can also be considered a recording device, but
that's allowed.

Since the FBI is more focused on criminal investigations, they would only
be interested in the RCX if you could use it to commit crimes. I suppose
you could  club someone to death with the thing, or attach it to a
powerline and have it crawl into someone's bathtub or something, but I
don't see it as high on the list as plastic guns or chemical arms.