 Robotics / 5680
Sbasic : ok, but tiny-comp ? Have you heard about basic Matchbox ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:07:39 GMT

(Sorry about re-posting this one, but it seemed that it didn't get to
the group...)

So, sbasic is a basic programming tool for the 68hc11. Great ! I've
just
downloaded it. It seems quite easy, but i don't know how it does
compare
to similar (?) systems such as the basic stamp programming tool...
(in UK and Deutchland, the electronic magazine ELEKTOR released the
basic matchbox : very good, with I2C bus, which is the definitive
solutions for addons. See* bellow)

Sorry about asking this simple question, but i can't find any
information about the tiny computer boards.

*Altough it may not be available in the us, there is also the basic
Matchbox, another system which seems perfect for a beginner with
no-microcontroller knowledge:

It is :
-intel 8051 controller
-small 65*45 mm
-with high level basic/pascal (a mix of the two) programming tools
-has 27 i/o ports including rs-232 and I2C
-not dedicated to robotic
-semi-cheap : 80$ max for one assembled, but devellopment tools are +-
200$ with one matchbox (you pay this once)
-very limited eeprom memory expendable thru I2C. Simply add a
declaration of the new chip in your sources.

I2C is a 3 wires serial bus at 100 Kbs, first designed by phillips
mainly for audio controls in their products. Perfect for small
memories,
AD/DA converters, serial I2C to //, ... in fact, any I2C chip will
connect on the matchbox. Uses 3 address lines, making it possible to
add
16 chips with various functions.

Any comment about I2C ? (or the matchbox if you heard about it?)

I'll post more information about thoses...

Philippe Jadin

                               Philippe Jadin
                       mailto:philippe.jadin@skynet.be
                               Belgium, Europe