 Robotics / 566
Re: Real-time communication or just download programs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:15:28 GMT

In message <364F3A6C.783218B6@erols.com>, Garrett Snider
<gsnider@erols.com> writes
Hi,
I am thinking about buying the Mindstorms kit, but I was wondering if
you can just download programs to execute in the brick, or if you can
control it at runtime from the computer?  I am interested in using it
with things like genetic algorithms, neural nets and other control
strategies that would not likely fit in the onboard memory.

Thanks,
Garrett Snider

Both - and both together I think!
I have been experimenting with my recently acquired CyberMaster which is
similar to the Mindstorms only it can support less tasks and sub
routines and only one program. But it is radio controlled so it may be
better than Mindstorms.

I am experimenting with downloading tasks while it is running.
I have a similar view to you and I expect to need to download stages.
e.g. search stage until item found
     process stage say move objects around
     transfer stage say collect an object.
so for each of these stages you may need to load a different set of
tasks down into the cybermaster unit.

Dennis
--
CyberUser