 Robotics / 5407
RE: MIT handy board or laptop..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:42:21 GMT

Well, as far as I/O with a laptop, use a PCMCIA/PCcard I/O unit -- there are
some full feature cards available which make the aforementioned controllers
look lame in comparison.  They are not cheap but neither is the Handyboard.
As far as Linux on a laptop, I wouldn't do it until the PCMCIA support is
ready.

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Clark [mailto:dlc@verinet.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 1999 7:18 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: MIT handy board or laptop..

In lugnet.robotics, Alex Wetmore writes:
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Patrick Lawrence wrote:
I have be thinking of the next step up to take after the • lego rcx. It seems
like the more I use it the more I want more sensor inputs • and more motor
controls ect. I was looking at the MIT handy board it • looks like a good way
to go but what about just using somthing like a small pent
100 laptop.

  Perhaps, but you'll find that there aren't that many more
ports available
easily.  With effort yes.

The handyboard is lighter, cheaper, and has I/O ports designed for
robotics.  With a laptop you would have to interface some sort of
I/O card for your sensors, mostly likely through the parallel port
since it is the easiest device to interface with on most laptops.

  Indeed.  Handyboard, Botboard, Fingerboard, and LOTs of other HC11
as well as 8051 stuff is out there.  Your programming environment gets
a lot more complex though.

If I were doing this I'd probably try and find an old 8086 or 286
laptop and write DOS software on it.  Then you'll have better low
level control of the parallel port, and they are much cheaper too.

  DOS!  Phah!  Use a real OS like Linux.  Why get a more
powerful computer
and then make it stupid and unreliable? 8^()

DLC